Yet perhaps take a moment to consider. What was the world like 60 years ago? What books, if I may so bold, was the Queen herself settling down to read as she was preparing to assume her responsibilities?
Well, here's a snapshot of her (unofficial) library....
- The Currents of Space - Isaace Asimov
- They Do it With Mirrors - Agatha Christie
- The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemmingway
- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - C. S. Lewis
- East of Eden - John Steinbeck
- Men at Arms - Evelyn Waugh
- Charlotte's Web - E. B. White (all books published in 1952)
Yet perhaps it is one particular piece of non-fiction work that has seen good our monarch thus far. Indeed, maybe, just maybe, the Queen has tucked in her handbag her own copy of Peale's The Power of Positive Thinking.
Alas for us, we will never know.....